Sunday, August 22, 2010

Time to Focus...or Refocus

It's Sunday, and it is just 10 weeks to the 10K. Yikes! Time flies huh? So yesterday my husband and I went for a walk, a 5K. It was hot and we got a late start which only made it harder for us. We started off at a good pace and even got past Coconut's house without being chased, at least on the way in, but our energy eventually ran out and Coconut came after us on the way back. About a half a mile from the end we slowed to a casual pace and finished in under an hour. (A bit slower than I would have liked but OK given the conditions.)

As promised I am going to be honest...there is no replacement for getting outside and hitting the pavement. I have been doing various cardio workouts inside due to the heat and I think my lungs are in good shape. However, my legs are sore today, especially right in the hip socket. Looks like I need to get my butt outside a little more often, heat or no heat.

With the summer (and the number of weeks before the 10K) winding down I am going to face some new challenges. The biggest is going to be when to get my daily walk in. The first day of summer is the longest day of the year and since then the days have been getting shorter. That being said, it's not hard to figure out that there is no longer daylight at 6:00 a.m. I have to start walking at 6:00 to make sure I am done in time to stop sweating and cool off before getting ready for work.

My best plan is to get up at 6:00 and get ready which will put me out the door at about 6:20 or so which should be bright enough for the next couple of weeks allowing me to get in a 2 mile walk each day. (I should be able to walk that in less than 35 minutes still giving me cool down time.) I will save my long walk for Saturdays and plan to put in 4 miles this coming Saturday. There it is, the plan for the next couple of weeks; walk, walk, walk.

Another thing I hope will help me along is the bootcamp class my husband and I are thinking about trying. It is offered through the county's Parks and Rec office. It's a one hour class six Saturday mornings beginning in mid September. I'll get back to you on that one.

Well, I have a plan in place, that's a start. Of course I will let you know how it goes, good and bad. Talk to me, are y'all moving yet? Rhonda, I hope you are doing much better and feeling well. Keep working on your health and we'll keep sending you positive thoughts. How about the rest of you? Set a goal and start working towards it and...

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment