Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Seem to be Hitting Some Road Blocks Lately

Well, I didn't walk 2 miles on Monday. I had a bit of trouble getting out of bed. By the time I did get up I only had enough time to get on the Wii Fit for about 20 minutes. I had a hard time on Tuesday too but this time I managed to come through for myself and I hit the pavement. 2 miles, 31 minutes, 45 seconds. That's less than 16 minutes a mile, not too shabby. You see, I had a new plan and it seems to have worked.

Keep in mind that I am out here in the country walking and part of my walk is on a fairly busy road and so far I have not used my Ipod while walking. I just didn't think it was safe, until Tuesday. I have met a few of the folks that live along my route and everyone has gotten used to seeing me walking and biking, it's always nice to have extra eyes looking out for you. Now the other thing that I knew I would have to do is keep the volume low so that I could hear traffic approaching me from behind. I don't walk in the middle of the road or anything crazy like that but there is no such thing as a shoulder, just a ditch, lots of tall grass and who knows what creeping and crawling in there. Uh, no thank you.

The Ipod was a pleasant change and I think the music definitely got me moving faster (the proof is in the numbers). I have to admit though that I had something else on my side...the weather. Yesterday's high was only 77. That is the first day under 80 degrees in 90 days (I told you it's been hot.) and even Coconut had an extra spring in his step as he charged out into the road right on my heels. It was cloudy yesterday too and there was a nice breeze, well, the breeze was nice on the way in but gave me a heck of a head wind on the way out making me work that much harder. All in all, I was very pleased at the end of the walk.

So today I took a rest day and tomorrow I plan to get back out on the road. Once again I will pound out 2 miles and maybe with the help of my new favorite walking tool (my Ipod, pay attention) I will make it back in faster than yesterday.

9 1/2 weeks to the 10K, full speed ahead. Send me some happy thoughts and...

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment