Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And Knowing is Half the Battle...

It's a beautiful Tuesday morning here in the Commonwealth. I'm sitting on the patio out back typing away, loving the miracles of modern science that allow me to do so. I once again took the bike out for a 5K as this is supposed to be an easy day of activity. I didn't push too hard and probably coasted the bike a little more than I should have but I managed to make it back in 18:15, just 25 seconds behind yesterday's pace.

OK, maybe I am making that sound a bit too easy. I am not just goofing off on that bike, I pump hard. And let me tell you that several days of biking are not easy on the delicate bits. I have some sore parts legs, back, well you don't need the whole list. There is sweating and huffing and puffing and I even blew by Coconut's house so fast that I didn't sound the alarm. Oh, and there is something large and dead almost at the 1 mile point which I managed to get a giant whiff of into my lungs. That is UNpleasant. So while it is easier than walking, it's not easy.

As I said tomorrow will be a true rest day with no extra exercise at all. I'm told that if rest days are not taken then I will fatigue and more than likely injure myself and we just don't want that now do we? So I will rest. Don't misunderstand, I still have to go to work, cook dinner, do laundry, that sort of thing but I won't be walking, biking, swimming, Wiiing (that's a lot of I's), etc. I don't like it. When I take a day off I almost feel lazy. I guess it's because I feel good and I feel like I can keep going without a break. But I won't. I'll listen to the experts on this one and give my body time to rest and recover which they say will make me stronger in the end. Enough of that.

The verdict is in on the calorie count from yesterday. I finished the day with...wait for it...1817. Right on target. (Glad I didn't eat those Cheetos I wanted.) Now I tend to overestimate rather than under estimate if necessary to make sure that I am not cheating myself. After all, I am the only one who will lose if I lie about the number of calories I consume. Now some of my choices could have been better. Like the muffins, I really didn't need to eat 2 small muffins, I would have been fine with 1 or none. I just wanted to get them out of the house. And as it turns out, we have more cash than I thought so I will pick up some strawberries and Cool Whip Free to have for dessert tonight. Doctor's orders. I'm not lying, you can ask her. It's a healthy sweet snack and a great alternative to chocolate chip muffins.

Not that I want to start measuring my success by a number on the scale, I thought you might like to know that I am down 2 pounds from yesterday. Alright, you got me, I am smiling a little. I guess that whole positive reinforcement thing is true.

So with 2 pounds down and so many more to go I'll keep chipping away at the poor health (and the many pounds) that I have allowed to control me. By the way, did you notice the picture I added. That's me and Honey Bunny on our trip to Yellowstone in 2007. Anyway, knowledge is a powerful thing if you use it. Follow what the experts are saying, follow what your doctor is saying. Get out there and get moving (don't forget to rest), get a smaller plate and a heavier fork (portin control) and when you hear her order the grilled chicken salad no croutons and light dressing on the side...

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment