Thursday, June 17, 2010

That's One Small Step for Woman...

Alright, so today was the day that I was to try running. I got the June issue of Prevention magazine and in it was a small article on how to start running. Day 1 of week 1 had me scheduled to do 1.5 miles. The idea is to walk 5 minutes to warm up at the beginning and 5 minutes to cool down at the end with intervals of running and walking in the middle. Now they tell you to run as long as you can and to switch to walking before you are out of breath. They also tell you that it is OK if you can only run 15 - 30 seconds when you begin. Can I run 30 seconds? I was going to find out.

I started out with the 5 minute warm up walk and I was on pace with where I had been in the weeks before. As the 5 minute mark approached I really started to wonder how far I could run. It took me another 45 seconds to get up the courage to try running and I had to make sure I wasn't directly in front of anyone's house in case they might be watching. At 5 minutes and 45 seconds I started jogging. I tried to focus on my breathing and keep it in rhythm with the sound of my feet striking the ground. Inhale, two, three, four, exhale, two, three, four. I glanced at my watch worried that only 10 or 15 seconds had passed and to my surprise I was at the 30 second mark. And, as I wasn't out of breath yet, I was able to push it to 45 seconds.

Now you have to remember that I started walking to train for the 5K at the very end of April. Prior to that I was sitting on the couch or sleeping in well past the time I needed to. I was absolutely amazed. After this first interval of running, I was able to regain my breath after just 2 minutes. Keeping a close eye on my watch, I started running again. Now that I knew I could run 45 seconds before getting winded that's what I did. Right past Coconut's house this time triggering the alarm and he chased me down the road to the end of his property before turning back. Again and again I alternated running with walking, 45 seconds running with 2 - 3 minutes of walking in between.

As I came running back past Coconut's house he started after me again. The neighbors across from my little shaggy follower were coming out of their driveway as a bizarre and ridiculous scene unfolded. There I was, jogging along, a woman of great stature, with a 20 pound mop hot on her heels when suddenly I turned and sort of jumped and waved my arms in a pseudo jumping jack move trying to chase him back home. It worked. I turned back around and kept running, laughing as the neighbors slowly pulled out of their driveway confident that they saw the whole thing.

All of this was a good distraction for a while but on my next running interval, number 6, I realized how fatigued my muscles were becoming. I walked for about 4 minutes trying to recover my breath (those new no-bounce bras certainly squeeze me tight) and my stamina so that I could finish by running the rest of the way home. I did. And I came in under 28 minutes.

I could not believe it. I just ran 7, 45 second intervals. I am still astounded and proud. Couch potato to running in about 7 or 8 weeks. It gives me so much hope that I can do this, I can run a 10K. Well, let's start with 1 mile. I hope to be able to do just that at the end of this 6 week training program. I'll keep you posted. For now I am satisfied with the knowledge that I am progressing. Slow and steady is winning the race.

I hope you will get moving. challenge your bodies, push yourselves, be safe and

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment