Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Milestone...Let's Not Celebrate Just Yet

Yep, another milestone, we'll get to that in a minute. Saturday I dragged my husband out of the house for a 2 mile walk (remember that he has to walk this 10K too).

The last time we walked together we didn't really walk together he walked ahead of me and I stayed back just fuming and getting my tail feathers all in a knot. You see one thing that I haven't told you is that I'm the sensitive type, a toasted marshmallow my mom says (crusty outside and gooey inside), I get my feelings hurt pretty easily. I interpreted his walking ahead of me as his way of proving that he was still in better shape than me despite my 3 months of exercise (Oh yeah, 3 months) and his lack thereof. I know that's not what he intended but I was hot and tired (and maybe a bit hormonal, sorry guys but it's true) and that's how it felt.

Back to Saturday. So I dragged him out of the house but not before I took my "are we going to walk together or are you walking at your own pace today" stance. He said, let's walk at our own pace. I grabbed my I-pod deciding that I should enjoy this walk and headed out the door. Pushed by the fast pace music bopping in my ear, I took off at a record pace and I didn't stop. As one of our neighbors said I was "putting it on him." I came in at just under 31 minutes, a 15:30 pace. WOO HOO! He came in 4 minutes later after stopping to chat with the neighbor who gave him a hard time.

I felt so energized, good pace, no fatigue, quick recovery, it all seemed to be coming together. Well, Sunday I decided it was time for a real test, 4 miles. This is the first time in a long time that I have walked that far. I got started later than I wanted to (like that's never happened before) and it was getting hot. I briefly toyed with the idea of only walking a 5K but I've done that several times. I shook it off and decided to keep moving. I took me a lot of sweat, sore feet and 1 hour and 12 minutes to finish. That's an 18 minute mile pace, not too bad.

I'm feeling pretty good knowing that I only have 8 1/2 weeks until the 10K. I know I will finish with no problem. Yesterday I walked another 2 miles, just like I'll do on Saturday and I'll follow up on Sunday with another 4 mile walk. I'll round out the week's exercise with 3 alternating days of kettleball exercises. I feel the need to get some sort of weight training/toning thing going on now (starting to feel perkier...) to round out my workouts. I'll let you know how that goes, I'm starting tomorrow, it looks like a fun plan. I'm still doing Zumba too, I can't get enough of that.

I know my posts haven't been coming in as often and I will do better, we all know how we allow life to get the better of us sometimes. I want to hear from you too. Let me know what what you have been doing, let me know if I can help...I'll do the best I can so tell me what's on your mind and...

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment