Monday, May 31, 2010

Your Mission, Should you choose to accept it...

First Objective: complete 10K
Date: Oct. 31, 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.

Two weeks ago I completed the Semper Fred 5K in Fredericksburg, VA. I walked 3.1 miles with my niece while my husband ran/walked the same course and my sister ran the 13.1 mile half marathon. I finished in under 54 minutes or about a 17 minute mile pace. Not bad considering that I only started walking 3 weeks prior to the race but not great either.

So, frustrated by my lack of physical strength, I have signed up for the 10K that is run in conjunction with the Marine Corps Marathon.

Perhaps I should back up a few more steps. My sister began running a couple of years ago and I have watched her cross the finish line of all of her races. She has been an inspiration to me. I want to find that kind of strength within myself. I want to feel better, stronger, healthier. I want to live a long, fulfilled life. I believe that improved physical health will lead to better mental and emotional health.

Last year my husband lost someone who had a tremendous influence on his life. In this man's memory he decided to improve his health to live up to the potential that his friend saw in him. His first goal complete, the Semper Fred 5K, he signed up for the Marine Corps 10K.

OK, so I didn't choose these particular races for myself but have decided to run them rather than stand on the side and watch everyone else. You see, there comes a point when you get tired of being the fat girl. When you get tired of everyone thinking that you are going to keel over any second from a stroke or heart attack. Never mind the fact that you are only 33 years old with a text book BP, resting heart rate of 64 and perfect cholesterol. Make no mistake, I am NOT doing this for everyone else, I am doing this for ME. However, I do want others to understand that fat girls like me don't want their pity. I am overweight because I have chosen to overeat, eat foods with poor nutritional value and never exercise. I have now made the choice to change.

Starting tomorrow, Jun. 1, 2010, I will be rising at 6:00 a.m. to walk a couple of miles. I will do this everyday. I will be altering my diet to include many more fruits and vegetables, less fat, more fiber, etc. (Details to follow in future posts.) I will use this blog as my journal, my record, of every milestone, setback and victory. I am excited! I am going to change my life!

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

1 comment: