Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Think I Can, I Think I Can...

So, I didn't get up until 6:15 this morning (see a trend forming here?) and I didn't get up easily. I was so sleepy. It is very easy to talk yourself out of things when you're warm and cozy, wrapped up tight in the blankets knowing that you could sleep for another hour. It is not easy to convince yourself to leave the comfort of your bed to go out in 80-some% humidity and walk 2 miles. But, I did it anyway.

Now believe me when I say that I tried everything I could think of to stall. I won't bore you with the details let's just say that it was 6:34 when I hit the pavement.

I had a hard time with the walk today, my body aching from the previous 2 days and 4 miles. I crossed the first 1/2 mile at 8:42 and knew I would have to pick up the pace. That's when I hit a snag. You see, yesterday while I was walking I noticed (yuck) a possum carcass. Today, there was a rottweiler feeding on the dead possum. Now there are many problems with this. You see, possums carry rabies, rottweilers have been known to be...we'll call it aggressive AND I can't run fast. The only means of defensive I had was my tiny Swiss Army Knife. So, I opened the knife, picked up my pace, kept my eye on the dog and started by him. He eyed me cautiously, never made a sound, and stood between me and his feast. And let me tell you, I LET HIM. I am not about to take on a hungry rott.

I passed by without any trouble and walked faster planning my defense for when I had to get around the dog again. All of this distraction was good for removing the focus from the pains in my legs, hips and back and the next 3/4 of a mile went by quickly. As I approached the point where I left the rott, I could hear the alarm (dogs barking) sound at Coconut's house. Coconut the mighty came tearing down the driveway and caught the attention of the rottweiler who bounded over to greet him. Now that the rott was distracted, I breezed by without any trouble.

Still focused on coming in at 34:00 minutes, I pushed my legs to move faster. With the finish line in sight I realized that I would have to jog to make it back in time. So, with 30 seconds left I started jogging. The driveway got closer and closer and the seconds ticked away. Just a little farther, going to have to run now. Still bouncing from the lack of proper support (It's supposed to be on the way.) I stepped into the driveway at 33:58, under 17 minutes per mile.

Tomorrow I have to be at work at 7:00 and will not have time to walk. My body is thanking me. I think I will make time tomorrow evening for some other type of exercise, maybe biking, maybe Wii Fit. Tired though I may be, I feel great, I have not allowed myself to give up this week. I'll keep moving and walk myself fit. Until then...

Don't Pity the Fat Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment